Monday, June 4, 2018

Falling, Fast Sundays, and Fan-Ice

The past few days are literally impossible to cram into just a few short paragraphs...but I AM BURSTING WITH GRATITUDE!!!! I AM HAPPY!!! I'll share just a few short highlights, and I'd ask that you please be patient with me because I'm trying to write this as fast as I can before the power goes out (and the wifi turns off).

Last Friday night, after a wonderful week of service, work, and smiles, we got back to the Telecentre, and I was ready to call it a night. A few people decided they wanted to hurry and check out a local venue out that advertised live music and dancing, but ten minutes later, two of my best friends knocked on my door and burst into the room. One of the girls that went dancing had fallen into a drainage ditch on the side of the road just outside of the guest house. She shredded her thigh, cracked her phone, and caught all of her weight on her left wrist as she fell inside. It was one of those nights where we couldn't really do anything besides pray, offer ibuprofen, change the ice packs, and wait until morning (none of the hospitals had an x-ray tech working that night). We woke up early on Saturday and spent a couple hours trying to find a hospital with an x-ray machine and radiologist. After two hours of driving and waiting, we found a hospital, and more miracles ensued. Our friend who was driving ended up knowing a security guard who helped us explain it was an emergency (that saved us about three hours of waiting in the queue). After being screened, we then went to the imaging center where our friend/driver recognized an old classmate who was a doctor there. The doctor was able to get us in quickly and saved us another few hours. By the time it was all said and done, we'd spent about eight hours at the hospital for the peace of mind to know that her wrist wasn't broken and to get a few painkillers. Despite the fact that it seemed like a waste of time, I had the chance to spend all day talking, listening, and having one of the most meaningful conversations I've had in a long time. I'm grateful for the precious treasures that I've been able to experience here in the most unexpected circumstances/times. I'm also incredibly grateful for the miracle that my friend didn't have a broken wrist or more serious injury.

Fast Sunday was absolutely incredible. Saturday night, as a group, we watched The Terminal. Despite its cheesy lines and dramatized events, I definitely shed a tear or two. One of the themes of the movie was waiting. Tom Hanks, the main character, repeatedly said, "I will wait." and didn't get frustrated, frazzled, or distressed despite absolutely horrible circumstances. Throughout Sunday, the theme of patience and waiting was emphasized over and over again in fast and testimony meeting. Just like in the movie, I was reminded that waiting doesn't mean passively sitting and expecting things to eventually come to pass. It means actively working to make the most of the situation while remaining confident that the small steps and actions will lead to the resolution of the bigger problem. It was a special experience to have everything connect in that way, and I know that the Spirit was teaching me an important, timely lesson. I am prone to "looking beyond the mark" and forgetting to enjoy the journey. The experience in the hospital, my experience in church, and my experiences on outreaches each day are reminding me to not just work towards the end but to enjoy working each day so that I'm somebody better, and have helped others become better, when I do reach the end.

Today was absolutely wonderful as well, but I'll share more about my experiences as soon as I can. It's time for bed, and I'm excited for tomorrow! I hope you're all doing well!!













No comments:

Post a Comment