Wednesday, May 9, 2018

An ordinary day of extraordinary experiences!

Each and every day here in Ghana, I find myself more and more amazed at the goodness in this world. I have grown to love these people so much, and I can already tell that six weeks here could never be enough. At the Telecentre, I have become a son to Mama Margaret (she runs the Telecentre-there are only seven rooms here) and sibling to Frida (she's twenty), Kofi (22), Great (21), Emmanuel (26), Francis (24), and Christopher (26). All of them are family, and they just have life figured out. They may not have a college education, and they might be making barely enough money to scrape by each month, but they love each other, they work hard, they love the Lord, and they have experienced a lot in life. Today, after returning home from a long day outside at a refugee camp, I asked Mama Margaret, "How are you? Where are some cheap places to get dinner around here?" She quickly responded by asking one of her sons to walk us to dinner. When I asked, "Mama, what can we do to make you smile? What can I do to help?" She simply laughed and responded, "Oh hoh hoh Trevor, just love me. All you have to do is love me and promise that you'll live a good life so that we can meet again in heaven someday…" I didn't realize the profoundness of this statement until writing it down. When it comes to pure religion, all we are asked to do is love. When we love those around us, we automatically strive to stay true to what we know is right (the commandments), we have the Spirit with us, and we find ourselves growing into someone fit for heaven someday. I love the precious lessons that I can learn in the simplest of sentences each day here in Ghana!

After coming downstairs this morning to leave at the designated 7:45 a.m., we sat around until 9:15 when the van came to pick us up. I traveled with three other students (Meg, Megan, and Lauren) to a Liberian Refugee Camp that was about one hour away (still in the Accra region). Even late in the morning, a breeze began swirling about, and clouds were gathering in the sky. We all knew an afternoon storm was inevitable (and certainly welcome!). Once we arrived, I was immediately struck by the friendliness and humility of those in the camp. The living conditions were certainly not desirable, but they were better than I imagined. There were cinder block shacks with tin roofs, bathrooms, water pumps operated by NGOs, and small school rooms scattered throughout. We set up our station underneath a mango tree, and I began helping with dispensing medicine/glasses. I might've said this before, but we make everybody pay for the medication and glasses they receive a prescription for (at a highly subsidized price) so that they'll value it and take care of it. On Monday, the majority of the patients were gracious and grateful, but there were a few that tried to barter and ask for special treatment. Today, when somebody didn't have enough money, the other refugees waiting in line would immediately butt in and lend them a few extra cedis, even if that meant they themselves wouldn't have enough to buy their own medication. Everybody was there to help each other, and this wasn't just a one-time thing. It happened over and over again. I was so grateful for the privilege to simply witness such selfless charity, love, and sacrifice.

Another important lesson I learned today was to always remember where I'm at. After even a few minutes behind a table and repeating the same task of asking for a prescription, collecting the medicine, and collecting money, I found myself going into robot mode and just coasting through everything. Randomly, I'd recognize my absentmindedness, and I'd actually look into the deep, unique, dark brown eyes of the person I was helping. As soon as I did this, I would connect with them. We would share a smile, a laugh, a few compliments, and priceless joy. It could've been a long day of handing out a bunch of medicine and eye drops, but when I really paid close attention to who I was helping, it turned into a day of learning, serving, connecting, laughing, and loving. Instead of completing a day's work, I simply felt like I gained a few hundred new friends and family members. When I deliberately chose to be present and care for an individual, I was immediately blessed with a feeling of fulfillment and joy.

As we were driving home, I sat in the back of a hot van next to a man named Ernest. Sweat was running down my forehead, neck, back, armpits, and legs. Cars were honking, motos were zipping past the windows, and people knocked on the sides of the van trying to sell us things while were stopped. Amidst the craziness, Ernest and I had an incredible conversation. He told me his story of wanting to be a banker, excelling in science, struggling to get accepted to medical school, and choosing to pursue optometry. He told me how he met his wife while working on an outreach for Crystal Eye Clinic, and he showed me pictures of his newborn son. This man is 35, and he works over 100 hours every single week in 95 degree humid, scorching weather. He sees over 200 patients every single day, week after week, month after month, and travels all over the country. Despite this hectic schedule, he is filled with warmth, optimism, and energy. I've met very few people with a smile as big as his. Ernest's eyes are filled with light, and he laughs easily at just about anything you say. After talking with Ernest the whole ride home, I realized that every piece of conversation ended up with a reference to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. He would share something with me, and somehow his words always lead to him thanking the Lord for blessing him abundantly. Ernest, and so many of the other Ghanaian people, have taught me that when the gospel isn't just a part of who you are-when you really allow it to become who you are- then nothing in life can stop you. Ernest reminded me that you get out what you put in. He lives a busy, overworked life, but he has also received/recognized many blessings and feels fulfillment every single day as he closes his eyes and falls asleep. I don't necessarily wish to travel across a country each week and work 16-20 hour days consistently, but I do wish to have the Spirit with me and feel like I've accomplished the Lord's will.

I'm incredibly grateful for the experiences I've had thus far, and I'm excited to see what will happen tomorrow. There is so much to learn, and I know that there are more miracles to witness!








No comments:

Post a Comment