Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Happy Mother's Day!!! I love you, Mom! Just this afternoon, I was talking to a 24-year-old man that works at the Telecentre (our hotel) about life. He has become like a brother to me, and he's one of the kindest people I've ever met in my life. We've spent the past few nights doing ab workouts before bed, jogging, eating mangos together, doing laundry out back, fixing the water pump, and listening to videos. This afternoon, I asked him about the most influential people in his life. We talked for a minute about what that sentence even means, then he said, "My mother…" I think it's amazing that people all over the planet recognize the importance of family, and especially the role of mothers. I am so grateful I was (and still am) raised by the most selfless, loving, caring, charitable, ambitious, diligent, consistent, thoughtful, hard-working, patient, happy, outgoing, and talented woman on the planet. I love my mama.

Yesterday was a special day because we had the chance to go to the temple. I stayed up late on Friday night listening to the pouring rain ricochet off of the metal roof while the stray dogs and roosters let everybody know that it was raining. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep, so six in the morning came extra early. We all got dressed as quickly as possible, shoved a couple granola bars in our backpacks, and headed out. We hailed down a taxi after walking the quarter mile long dirt road outside of our hotel and spent the next thirty-five minutes driving in chaotic traffic. I was constantly saying prayers of gratitude that we hadn't been smashed yet. When we got to the temple, it was as if all the noise, both physical and spiritual, seemed to just dissipate. It was beautiful, and the feeling of peace and quiet was so precious after being enveloped by the loud, cheerful and upbeat city of Accra both day and night. As I sat in the Celestial Room, I couldn't hold back the tears as I stared at the beautiful ceiling, the scriptures in my hands, and my friends that were around me. There have been so many people that came before me, sacrificing so much more than just their lives, so that I could live the life I enjoy. I am so grateful for my ancestors, the unknown strangers, angels, and my living family/friends that have shaped me into who I am today. I am so blessed. Sitting in the Accra Temple was one of those moments where I walked out a changed man because I gained a different perspective. I have always tried to make the right choices and help those around me, but the experiences I'm having here are helping me to deepen my conviction of why doing the right thing is important. A change of understanding and perspective is making all the difference!

The past few days as a volunteer with the eye clinics have been incredible experiences. We have traveled to tiny villages filled with the most humble, happy, and grateful people on the planet.  I also had a chance to help the optometrists and observe the ophthalmologist at the Crystal Eye Clinic in Accra. Although the regulations, sterile practices, and conditions weren't quite the same as the hospitals in Utah, I was amazed at the efficiency and effectiveness of the clinic. The 65 year old ophthalmologist does around 50 procedures almost every single day. At one point, he operated on patients for 7 hours straight, moving from one bed to the other, without ever taking a drink or pausing to rest. Dr. Clarke answered my hundreds of questions about anatomy, the drugs, the healthcare system, his education, insurance, the government, surgical procedures, equipment, infection, sourcing, business management, Christ, and family. I could never write down everything I'm learning, but I can definitely emphasize the fact that in order to enjoy the happiness I've witnessed in others, I need to be willing to work hard, put my family first, and constantly seek the Lord in my life.

Although today is Mother's Day, I also want to share a tender experience I had in the van while driving back from a village one day. The other six volunteers in the van either had their headphones in, or their eyes were shut with there heads back after a long, hot day working in the sun. Dennis, one of the ophthalmic nurses, was sitting in the front seat looking at something on his phone. I asked him about his family, how he met his wife, and other questions like that. When speaking of his parents, he said, "I really had a special relationship with my dad. I called him (this is translated)-'Best Friend Kofi.' My dad treated me like an equal, respected me, and really tried to understand me. He was different than all the other dads. He taught me by example what it means to be a friend and a father." I'm reading a book about West Africa and the strong, patriarchal society that exists here. In church today, we spent about 45 minutes discussing what presiding in the home really means because a lot of men have tendencies to be controlling and forceful in their homes. I am so grateful for my father who has also been my best friend, always respects my feelings/ideas, and has patiently helped me through everything I've ever been through.

I LOVE GHANA, AND I LOVE MY PARENTS!!!!

I'm sorry this post is so scattered. So much has happened in the past couple of days, so it's overwhelming to try and clearly convey all of the experiences and feelings. This week, I'll be working with a different eye clinic in different areas around Accra. I'm excited for everything to come!















No comments:

Post a Comment